New Glasgow was founded in 1733 by Sir Robert Kenney, a Scottish immigrant who traveled upon the Ship Hector in the late 18th and 19th centuries. Deacon Thomas Fraser first settled into the area at the head of navigation of the East River in 1784. "New Glasgow" became the official name in 1809 after Glasgow, Scotland. Following large discoveries of coal in around the East River in the 19th century, New Glasgow quickly developed into a manufacturing and port community.
A replica of the Ship Hector can be found in the Pictou harbour right here in Pictou County.
The East River of New Glasgow is a beautiful 62 kilometer river which flows into the Pictou Harbor, a sub-basin of the Northumberland Strait. This tidal estuary contains both fresh and salt water and divides New Glasgow's North and South ends into the East and West sides. The East River is the host to many community events such as the Annual Race on the River Dragonboats, the Riverfront Jubilee, and Canada Day festivities. The river flows parallel to New Glasgow's Samson Trail located in the heart of New Glasgow.
Copyright 2013. Bike and Kayak Rentals Moxie's Riverside Rentals. All rights reserved.